Thursday 29 October 2009

1-2-3 The plan

'Whatever you can do or dream, you can begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it.' – Goethe

What does this mean to me? “I'm not smart enough to know all the answers however I'm smart enough to start out on this journey”

What does 1-2-3 refer to? A span of time travelling in central America traversing three countries. One month of Spanish language education in Guatemala; two months of research study in Belize; three months working in Mexico, applying permaculture principles. Er, although a plan nearly always changes over time.

What is permaculture? Website of the co-creator: http://permacultureprinciples.com/

Why permaculture? Well, I'm part of a growing network of people and organisations around the globe seeking alternative solutions to global issues. Over the next 10 years we will all be grappling with the effects of climate change and the end of cheap oil. As the banks, major corporations and the wealthy seek to control us and the world's ever depleted resources, I'm interested in creating a compelling and practical vision for a brighter future where citizens and their communities are empowered to be less dependant on external influences.

What am I doing in central America? Essentially, I'm working towards a diploma in Applied Permaculture. I understand that I work best with authentic problems, real problems that I care about. I know that as I seek knowledge, I will attract the right knowledge to me at the right time. I like the idea of having the freedom to experiment as it makes my learning vivid and exciting. With an engineering background, designing and implementing solutions, is what I enjoy the most. I'm looking forward to developing my systems thinking, breaking down complex systems to find the connections between the more simple underlying structures.

No comments:

Post a Comment