Saturday 23 January 2010

Slow Boat to Belize


Well this is me signing off for the year (by the time this post gets out - heavily belated!) On a slow boat to Belize, on a week long cruise into the carribean landing at the southern most tip of the Belize barrier reef, the second biggest in the world. What a year it's been. This time last year, I was counting down the days before I said goodbye to the claustrophobic world of investment banking in London. I've packed in adventure in four different continents and broadened my horizons to include yoga in India, learning salsa and Spanish in central America and deepening my understanding of permaculture.

Anyway, back to the trip. In some great company we explored some of the cayes in the south of Belize. It was a relaxing trip although being tossed around on a small catamaran was a queazy experience. It was worth it though, there was plenty of time for snorkelling on the reef. I enjoyed the best crab claw of my life pulled up from the sea depths fresh that same day. I also extended my camera to its maximum and photographed things that lurk in the deep. But my favourite encounter that no camera could capture was a series of Mexican standoffs I had with a family of cuttlefish. So alien and so brave facing up to me every time I followed them around. Cuttlefish glide through the water with such grace and effortlessness, they have an other worldly quality about them. That being said, we all want to see a pictures of sharks, right? Well let me oblige.....


No comments:

Post a Comment